Saturday, January 8, 2011

my favorite of the 4 elements - flame

I'm trying to put together a good sampling of vintage lighters in the Red Hook store.

I use the word "trying" because they're being sold almost as fast as my acquisition/refurbish cycle. I'm getting ahead slowly though.

In the process of refurbishing various kinds of old butane and petrol lighters I'm developing a growing affinity for the standard "T-bar" Ronson design.

Yesterday Mollie told me she had her Dad's lighter at home and that it was really nice. When we got home, she pulls out this thing here in the foreground:

Ronson Whirlwind

I trim the wick, pop in a flint and some lighter fluid and find it to be my favorite of all Ronson designs I've seen thus far: a little beefier making it easier to hold and strike. The tortoise enamel detail is sweet too.

Best of all it has a wind shield that pulls up from the body when needed, making it both stylish and extremely functional.

Sorry. We won't be selling this one. It's a keeper. Sentimental value and all.

But I do have an identical model coming in about a week. That one will be rehabbed and added to the for sale collection of classic (and working) flame-makers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
super awesome 'Homizio' font by Álvaro Thomáz.