Monday, September 6, 2010

oh hell yes



the build continues.

This week's palette comes from the wondrous magical color forest of Formica.

I SO wish they bring back some of their 60s and 70s colors and patterns. You gotta love the old ultra-glossy wood grains. As fake as you can get, but so damn cool.

Not sure what's sparking my current Formica fetish. Pure nostalgia maybe. My former fetish of making finely milled pieces from big-ass slabs of exotic hardwood combined with heavy chunks of melted and ground metal... that has passed.

Formica was my Dad's medium. For four decades he built a load of things, much of them covered with Formica. I had a general disdain and rejection of the material for many years, but now I've flipped.

In my view, everything is a style choice. This is not the year 1890. Nor is it 1970. But we have available to us all these material types, fabrication techniques and styles from previous eras. Exotic and reclaimed hardwoods, high pressure laminates (Formica), all sorts of plastic and metal and newer bamboo-based components. The only limitation is our imagination.

If using certain materials makes you feel ethical and helps you sleep at night, then more power to you. Being inspired by some thought or idea, that's a good thing.

Me... I just want to play. This week's toy is Formica.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
super awesome 'Homizio' font by Álvaro Thomáz.